Photo by Stephen Sainsbury (28 April 1977). © All rights reserved.
Broadstone opened for the first time on the 1 June 1847. It was a large station that was really the end of the line as far as the S&D was concerned - this in spite of the line continuing on to the terminus at Bournemouth West via Poole and even to Wimborne.
Broadstone was 63miles, 6 chains and 35 links from Bath and when the line was extended to Bournemouth, Broadstone became a major junction. The S&DJR constructed a cut-off line to negate the need to reverse up the line to Wimborne; at this point, Broadstone became a very important meeting of two lines.
Closure to passengers for this once proud station came in March 1966. Freight trains continued (to Ringwood, then West Moors, then Wimborne) until Today the site of Broadstone station is occupied by Broadstone Leisure Centre and its car park along with the traffic roundabout. Houses have been built where the track-bed was. It's a bit sad really that non moving dwellings for people now stand in the way of the route that once took people between many locations.
Broadstone is almost certain to become a junction again as the New S&D also intends to restore the line to Wimborne and Ringwood. The Association of Train Operating Companies have suggested Ringwood to Brockenhurst as an early candidate for reopening. It would be an obvious move to then 'fill in' the gap between Wimborne and Broadstone to give the large towns of Ringwood and Wimborne direct access to Poole and Bournemouth. As for the station site the ideal would be to rebuild the station where it once was, perhaps offering to build a new leisure centre close to the station. It's likely that this will become a prime point where, unfortunately, compulsory purchase will be utilised.