Photo by Julian Jefferson (27 March 2007). © All rights reserved.
Masbury railway station, at 811 feet above sea level, was one of the highest stations in southern England. It opened on 20 July 1874 as Masbury, and was renamed Masbury Halt on 26 September 1938, from which date it also became unstaffed. There was once a short branch to a nearby army camp, which was opened during the second world war and stayed in place until 1959. The halt was closed to goods traffic on 10 June 1963 and completely on 7 March 1966.
The station has remained in good condition since closure and is privately owned. The current owners have offered to sell the station to the Somerset and Dorset Railway Heritage Trust, if they can raise the £500,000 necessary to secure the site before 30 September 2013. After that date, the land could be sold to housing developers. The site includes all buildings, platforms and a good chunk of track-bed, in all 2 acres of land. Should the sale to the S&DRHT go through, the New S&D will take responsibility for restoring the station site.
You can contribute to this project by donating to the Masbury Railway Station Fund.
IMPORTANT - please respect the fact that this station is PRIVATE PROPERTY. Do not trespass as this could damage future relations with the owner.
Once the site has been secured, the New S&D will begin restoring the station. We aim to rebuild the missing signal-box, add new signage, and perhaps lay a few cosmetic panels of track. Once more of the track-bed has been purchased, we will work with the S&DRHT to restore track back towards Binegar, Chilcompton, and Midsomer Norton, with a view to operating occasional heritage steam services. Some 20 years-hence, we would like to be operating a full service between Bath and Bournemouth via this station.