Radstock North Station
Photo by Jeffery Grayer (1 February 1968). © All rights reserved.
The S&D station at Radstock was adjacent to the GWR station, right in the centre of town. It was renamed Radstock North on 26 September 1949. The station was opened on 20 July 1874, with the S&D Bath Extension. The station was at the heart of the Somerset coalfield and many tramways and colliery lines surrounded the town. This section was double track, continuing northwards to the colliery at Writhlington which was the last Somerset coalfield to close in 1973, providing goods traffic to the end. This section was the subject of a failed preservation bid in the 1970s, later to become the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust at Washford.
The area is now totally demolished and forms part of the memorial garden, alongside the Radstock Museum. There is room for a single track railway though!
The Somerset and Dorset Railway Heritage Trust at Midsomer Norton plans to extend to Radstock, connecting with the Frome line via the old Ludlow Colliery link, where some track is still in situ in concrete. The Frome line is still in place, and has an active restoration group in the North Somerset Railway Company and Trust.
The ideal place for a new station is to the west of the Bath road, alongside the existing car park and children's playground. The GWR station platforms still survive in the undergrowth, and a section of land has been preserved for the future rail link alongside future housing development. Radstock and Midsomer Norton are two of the largest non-railed served towns in the UK - ironically both once had two stations each. Although the Frome link will be very useful for stock movements and in and outgoing special trains, the residents of Radstock and Midsomer Norton have shown far greater interest in a revival of their train service to Bath, making this a priority (along with Blandford-Bournemouth) restoration project for the New S&D.