Sturminster Newton Station
Photo by Jeffery Grayer (July 1967). © All rights reserved.
One of the more important towns along the route, this station was opened on 31 August 1863. It closed to freight on 5 April 1965 and completely on 7 March 1966. It consisted of two platforms on a passing loop, this section of the S&D main line being single track. There was an extensive goods yard serving this mainly agricultural area.
Although demolished completely, the site is now a car park which is currently serving as custodian for the area. Immediately south of the station there is a Trailway which preserves the track-bed very well.
Rebuilding will be relatively straightforward (see above) although, incredibly, recent planning permission has been granted to build 14 houses on the track-bed north of the station. These will need to be purchased (possibly using compulsory purchase) and demolished to restore the route northwards, if indeed they are actually built! Unfortunately the New S&D was only a few weeks old when the planning permission was granted.